Power of the Spoken Word
Open Mic Night with On Your Feet Foundation
Join us for our first ever Open Mic Night: Power of the Spoken Word!
Words have power. They can heal hurts and give us hope. They can bring joy during times of sadness. They can give us strength when we are feeling weak.
This is an opportunity for birthparents to share original pieces or works written by others that hold special meaning to the performer. They can be works of poetry, favorite quotes, an excerpt from a book you love or a song lyric.
Not ready to share? Come and listen - maybe you will be inspired!
WHEN & WHERE
Sunday, October 17th, 2021
5PM CST | 6PM EST | 4PM MST | 3PM PST
- This event is being recorded.
- Respect the format. Listen to the open-mic host. She will give you cues on when your time is up (3 minutes). Please respect her directions. If you are performing, please make sure that your audio/video is working and that you are in a quiet place so that the audience can hear you clearly.
- Prepare a short intro to your piece. If it's not an original work, please include author/lyricist and source of work (title of book, name of song, movie quote, etc). Please warn everyone if there is explicit or possible triggering material in the piece (ex. sexual assault, strong language, etc).
- Be respectful of your fellow open mic-ers. Please be respectful when others are sharing their works/pieces. Please keep your audio on MUTE when you are not presenting. Please UNMUTE your audio to clap after each performance.Give feedback after they have finished sharing. Telling them they did a good job, and observing a specific thing that you liked about their performance is a good way to start.
- Be confident! We are all in this together. We are here to share and support one another. There are no bad or silly pieces!
- Stick around and watch the other performers. Please hang around for everyone to share their work/piece.