On Your Feet Foundation exists because adoption exists.
At On Your Feet Foundation, we believe that every birthparent deserves comprehensive post-placement care and support no matter when they placed.
- We exist to help individuals who have already placed – regardless of how the placement was made, or when, or why. Our clients are birthparents who find us years – sometimes decades – after placement.
- We exist because the support available to birthparents after their placement is finalized ranges from non-existent to inadequate.
- We exist because even when agencies offer post-placement services, birthparents do not access them because the trauma of returning to the place where they relinquished their child is too great.
- We exist because there are individuals who relinquished their children over the past 60 years who need help today, and without us, have no help at all.
- We exist because even if adoption ended today, birthparents who placed in the past deserve the care and support they need to heal, for as long as they need it.
We’ve been providing care and support to birthparents (fathers, too) for more than 20 years as a secular nonprofit, funded primarily by individual donors. Our mission is focused exclusively on anyone who did place and our best-case scenario will be when our services are no longer needed by anyone, ever.
We have no contact with expectant parents, nor do we knowingly allow our services to be used as an enticement for an expectant mother to choose adoption.
If you are a prospective adoptive parent, please visit Activism in Adoption for trauma-informed adoption education.