On Your Feet Retreats
On Your Feet Foundation’s birthmom retreats started nearly 20 years ago and are among the longest running and most consistent anywhere in the country.
What Sets Us Apart
- Our retreats are run “for birthmoms by birthmoms;” meaning that every woman at the retreat, whether a facilitator or participant, is a birthmom. Our retreats are the one place where everyone understands each other because they have lived the same life-changing experience.
- We stay in one large house together, bunk beds and all! By spending all of our time together (talking, eating, working, dancing, laughing and, yes, even crying) we leave feeling like one big family!
- We meet you where you are: angry, happy, hurt, relieved, in pain… and potentially all of those in the span of 5 minutes. We accept and acknowledge the hard emotions. They are real.
- We stay connected long after the retreat ends – ensuring that when you leave, not only do you have a community of other birthmoms to continue with you on your journey; but our retreat and case management staff will follow up to ensure that you have the support you need, including access to adoption-competent counseling, if needed.
When Are Retreats Held
- A small retreat in the early Spring capped at 10 attendees
- A larger retreat in the Fall capped at 15 attendees
- A special retreat with rotating topics (Closed/Reunion, Birth/Adoptive Mom, Veteran)
This May is our Veteran Retreat, ideal for birthmoms who have moved past new grief and are ready to start digging deeper. Attendees at our Veteran Retreat typically have attended On Your Feet Retreats in the past.
Our retreats have been described as, “The best kept secret in adoption!” by Ashley Mitchell, birthmom and founder of Knee to Knee birthmom support groups.
Our Lead Facilitators, Vicki Twomey and Sheena Kemp, have been involved with On Your Feet’s retreats from the very beginning, starting out as attendees themselves! Combined, they have more than 40 years experience in the field of adoption and as birthmoms making On Your Feet's retreats a very meaningful and unique experience for all who attend.
How Much Does It Cost
On Your Feet subsidizes the cost of each retreat, making them accessible to anyone who would like to attend. This enables us to maintain a low registration fee per participant: $100 for Traditional Retreats; $150 for Veteran Retreats; $300/team for Birth & Adoptive Mom Retreats. This fee includes two nights lodging, meals during the retreat and all materials. This does not cover transportation to or from the retreat; however, need-based grants are available for transportation assistance and to cover the discounted cost of the retreat).
2020 Retreat Dates
- Spring Retreat: April 3-5; POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19
- Veteran Retreat: May 15-17; Registration is now OPEN
- Fall Retreat: September 25-27; Registration opens July 27
Due to COVID-19, our Spring Retreat has been postponed. If you registered for the Spring Retreat, one of our staff will reach out to you regarding options. Anyone approved for the Spring Retreat will receive priority for the Fall Retreat. The Veteran Retreat is still accepting applications. At this point, it has not been cancelled. We are monitoring the situation and will make a decision that is in the best interests of the safety of our staff and clients and in accordance with state, federal, CDC and WHO recommendations.